AucklandPoetry.com presents Poet Resident JAN OSKAR HANSEN on http://OSKAR.AUCKLANDPOETRY.COM

Thursday, November 30, 2006

sonnet to mother raindrop

Sonnet to Mother Raindrop.

She didn’t want the lunch I had prepared,
on a diet, unhappy with her body, but ate
half of a sugar melon to keep me company.
Wish she hadn’t, could not stop talking about
her discontent as I tried to enjoy my lunch of
cauliflower with cheese sauce, baked potatoes
and Roquefort on celery stick, gone vegetarian
just to please her. Later, alone on the terrace,
seeing to my rosebush, it needed compost and
water; looked up and saw a gigantic sapphire,
raindrop falling. It hit the terrace burst open,
gave birth to millions of smaller once. Ladled
them up, fed them to the rosebush, it blushed.
grew quickly and produced maroon flowers.

No comments: