AucklandPoetry.com presents Poet Resident JAN OSKAR HANSEN on http://OSKAR.AUCKLANDPOETRY.COM

Friday, February 20, 2009

forgivness

Forgiveness.

 

It was dawn in Calcutta; I had spent the night in

a bar with no name, when I came upon a hospital

in a side street, a place for the dying. Two nurses

in white uniforms with blue borders - they were

nuns- twins, poke marked, elderly, had prominent

noses and dark penetrating eyes. They led me to

a room were an ancient woman lie dying on a mat,

she smiled held out her hand and asked me what

had taken me so long? I told her of my endless

journeying, all the obstacles in my way and how

I regretted my lateness. She smiled glad that she

could see me a last time; then she died. Twilight,

long shadows a day was ending and I had been

forgiven for not knowing I was loved and missed.

   

 

No comments: