AucklandPoetry.com presents Poet Resident JAN OSKAR HANSEN on http://OSKAR.AUCKLANDPOETRY.COM

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

the mislaid

The Mislaid


It was a strange October day, yet it behaved as that month
does, blowing leaves off trees and filling gutters into fast
flowing rivers where a child can launch a matchbox and call
it a ship, it was just as I had misplaced something of value by
my own carelessness and now it was out of my reach.

Went into a bar, beside me sat a blond, big busted woman in
her late forties, she looked like the archetypical barmaid, only
she was a cook at the Excelsior Hotel, up the street, on her day
off. I told her I had lost a thing of great sentiment, together we
went from bar to bar looking for this nameless thing.

Woke up in a strange bedroom, pink, and it had teddy bears
strew around, mostly on the floor; I looked out of the window
it was raining and remembered that yesterday was my birthday.
The archetypical was sleeping, in the grey morning light she
looked vulnerable and forty eight.

No comments:

Blog Archive