AucklandPoetry.com presents Poet Resident JAN OSKAR HANSEN on http://OSKAR.AUCKLANDPOETRY.COM

Monday, December 03, 2007

Noah the seafarer

Noah the Seafarer.


There was an inundation years ago, seas rose up and flooded
the landscape, what used to be valleys became lakes. Why?
I don’t know, only have a degree in domestic science, my ship
this had engine problems just followed the surge and cast
anchor in one of those lakes. I saw villagers clinging to hill
tops waiting for the water to sink; and it did, my ship was sunk
in the mud only her super structure was visible. The crew,
faithless as the oceans, fled to the coast, I didn’t ,
and soon mud greened into grassland. I bought land and sheep,
the bridge of my ship is a roof terrace, a house now but I do
speak of her as she. I know what they say about me around here
that I’m a relic from the sea, a flotsam, let them.
I’m a hill farmer know and don’t miss the sea at all; however,
should there be another floodI’m ready to rescue my sheep and
set sail again

No comments: