AucklandPoetry.com presents Poet Resident JAN OSKAR HANSEN on http://OSKAR.AUCKLANDPOETRY.COM

Wednesday, December 05, 2007

A positive Cristmas story

A positive Christmas story

There had been a long war and peace time was hard
and winters, with its lack of wood to burn, colder
than in the years of war, christmas was looming and
mother had got hold of some rice and margarine,
she made a big pan of rice porridge for the eve night.
And did we eat I thought I was going to burst, mother
was tired after this Herculean effort and went to bed.
I sat near the fire feeling a bit lost, when the doorbell
rang it was Uncle William and Aunt Teresa they had
brought cakes, sweets, presents and a tree with lights
and around the tree we walked around singing carols.
In the end I was so tired that I fell asleep on the sofa.
Mother, being very tired had slept through all this
festivities, she worked long hours at a canning factory
for very little pay, but I told her about it and she was
glad that I had had a great Christmas

No comments: