AucklandPoetry.com presents Poet Resident JAN OSKAR HANSEN on http://OSKAR.AUCKLANDPOETRY.COM

Sunday, June 08, 2008

An Insignificant Memory

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Oskar_Hansen


An Insignificant Memory


It is still here that Sunday of yore, floats on
the edges of my memory, I better record it
before it sinks into the sea of transience

It was a day of great clarity, a moment that
held no worries and had no tomorrows it
would have been, I see now, a day to die for.

As mother made dinner I went for a walk in
familiar streets, ended up outside my aunt’s
house, she looked out and asked me up.

We drank coffee, ate home made chocolate
biscuits and smoked cigarettes, aunt never
got fat and lived a long healthy life.

Strolled down to the docks, translucent sea
where fish swam about, slowly, they knew
it was Sunday, fishermen’s day off.

In the town’s park I looked up and saw
sunlight drip gold from transparent, green
leaves, and knew I witnessed a wonder.

Hasted home, I knew every house in my
town, those who lived in them too; life was
easy then when I could run like the wind.

No comments: