AucklandPoetry.com presents Poet Resident JAN OSKAR HANSEN on http://OSKAR.AUCKLANDPOETRY.COM

Thursday, June 05, 2008

Seventy today

Seventy Years Old


I used to think that when seventy I would feel
Burst with gravitas and tell people how to live
Their life; alas, I still feel like an adolescent who
Feel shy when meeting older people.

Yes, I have had my share of grief and illnesses,
And often, drunk or sober, I have fallen flat on
My face, disgrace I have often know, but next
Day when I saw the sun the surge of live returned

There are nights, however, the small hours when
Awake and fearful, knowing as I do that death is
Not afar, and my weak heart nervously misses
A beat… then I do feel tired and old.

My terrace faces the east, and I can see when
Dawn begins and I hear the sparrows under the roof
Tiles beginning their day they make me feel whole
Again, as the sun warms my ancient face.

No comments: