AucklandPoetry.com presents Poet Resident JAN OSKAR HANSEN on http://OSKAR.AUCKLANDPOETRY.COM

Friday, July 11, 2008

child of war

Child of War.

 

 

I was four when bombs fell and exploded with a cool bang, burning houses free heat on a January night.

When the enemy soldiers came, big men laughing intoxicated

by victory, so different from those pale man at the factory

and, yes I became enthralled and without looking back

joined the invaders as a mascot; blue eyes and blond hair and

teeth as white as Italian marble. Yes, the warriors loved me

the child of war; an army tailor sewed me a golden uniform.

I was there riding, alongside the commandant, saluting

the troops who indulgently smiled. What they did not know

any talk of sedition from them I reported to my leader, but in

the end they knew and they feared me greatly…War is in my blood, and I’m not even British, peace didn’t bode me well it

made me tired I slept for forty five years and luckily for me

the Iraqi war came along, in itself nothing much, but it is

the ember that will set the world afire and once more we will

have world war. Sweet blood and heavenly light let me be consumed by your fire, let me see the earth burn and let me

once more sit on a steed and lead men of iron into oblivion

 

No comments: