AucklandPoetry.com presents Poet Resident JAN OSKAR HANSEN on http://OSKAR.AUCKLANDPOETRY.COM

Tuesday, July 01, 2008

the wedding

The Wedding

Brussels national airport is designed by a fitness fanatic
or a sports committee, I walked for miles to find its exit
I needed a whisky after all this travail but they had none,
settled for a beer, and yes, it was cold and refreshing.

I took a taxi, expensive, the journey ended at a small inn,
near the national Basilica, the inn was still serving food
I had a sausage and drank a few more beers went to bed
and dreamed about the summers of my childhood.

Brussels in summer light is attractive, mainly because of
its architecture and many trees which make any citycape
more beautiful, glad the Belgians like trees, but I would
have liked to see the trees look more natural and at ease.

In the morning next day I visited the basilica. It was built
after the second world war in honour of the war dead, it
is the most impressive religious edifice I have ever seen,
and it represented all that is good in our hearts.

Tomorrow I’m going to a wedding it’s an African affair,
people will be in good mood, food laughter, music and
and plenty of wine; but today I will walk around, look at
houses and people… and, of course, drink a few beers

No comments: