AucklandPoetry.com presents Poet Resident JAN OSKAR HANSEN on http://OSKAR.AUCKLANDPOETRY.COM

Thursday, March 05, 2009

the spectres

The Spectres

In the olive grove I see a group print of ghosts,
stumps of amputated boughs painted white;
I look for a pen to draw eyes noses and ears,
to bring life to expressionless, pallid faces.
I have a ghostly photograph on my cottage’s
wall, it’s from my merchant-navy college days,
the group of smiling youths are all dead now
except for two, we’re old timers spit and wait.
How young we were, “here we are, life,” smile,
bitter regrets hadn’t yet clouded our features;
suit, tie and short hair, pre beat generation, our
heroes were John Wayne and Edgar G. Hoover.
It is almost unbearable to see them like this,
I look for a pencil got to make up for lost time,
redraw their faces and bring them back to life.

No comments: