AucklandPoetry.com presents Poet Resident JAN OSKAR HANSEN on http://OSKAR.AUCKLANDPOETRY.COM

Monday, March 23, 2009

the famous and the dead

The famous and the Dead

So she died then the famous young woman who lived her
life in front of the cameras naked glare. I knew little of her,
but could not avoid seeing her on the news and unthinkingly
thought her vulgar and cheap, forgetting that she and I came
from the same class which makes the middle class feel good
about themselves, until she became ill and died before my
eyes. I had done the mistake of thinking that because she had
no general knowledge she must be dumb, like knowing names
of kings and presidents should make anyone superior. Yet she
was able to, despite her didactic handicap, to make money for
her sons’ future, their legacy is not squandered before they get
their schooling. They will have little but their mothers dream
for them to keep them from falling into the underclass’s´ illness
of despair. She died with courage, yes, a true a people’s princess,
and I must say that after hearing about her death I feel humbled
and hope she will be remembered well.

No comments: