AucklandPoetry.com presents Poet Resident JAN OSKAR HANSEN on http://OSKAR.AUCKLANDPOETRY.COM

Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Jyly rhapsody

July Thoughts

The summer morning’s breeze is cooling and the sun
warms my face later in the day it will be the enemy
and fiercely burn to the landscape wilts and gasps.
The air is clear I can see forever or to where the last
mountain is fuzzy blue and the abstract world begins,
a place I can construct from my own thoughts

A friend sent me an email from Bombay where the city
waits for the monsoon, it is late this year, he says but
walks around with a big black umbrella just in case.
I stood on the fuzzy mountain will I see another fuzzy
one and another till I come back to the beginning which
is not where I was born, but long before.

Not even in the momentary glare of joined up humanity
in the heat of a night hotter than Bombay before rain,
and mournful and gloomy as October rain.
A startled rabbits jumps, flees along a field, escape is
its only defence; the origin of the species, what do I know,
so I let my own speculation escape.

How naive I’m the rabbit didn’t flee because of me, I look
up and see a beautiful eagle soar among silk thin clouds
that looks like shrouds for the rich and trendy to die in.
And by the sunny wall old women dressed in black sit and
knit they come alive and thrive when someone dies, when
the devil walk past them he carefully hides his limp.

And so do I, tuck my cane under my arm, like a parade
officer, jolly wish them a good morning and lift my feet
well above ground; wingless carrions, be gone.

No comments: