AucklandPoetry.com presents Poet Resident JAN OSKAR HANSEN on http://OSKAR.AUCKLANDPOETRY.COM

Monday, September 10, 2007

familçiarity breeds contempt

Familiarity breeds contempt

They have lamplight here in this street were few people
walk after five, safe for the man who has to take his dog
for a walk, the dog knows the man has too and enjoys
this brief sense power, pull on its lead forcing the man
to walk faster then his heart likes.

A plastic seat under a lamp, I’m so very tired, have been
walking for forty years. I when my wife died, she didn’t
live long- no children- there weren’t anything to keep me
at home. After some time some I noticed a man following
me he had nothing else to do and latched on to me.

A plastic chair, you could think that after all this years I
deserve something better than a sweaty backside on
a chair made of oil shit. “I’ve nowhere to sit,” said the man
who made it his life worth to follow me around. I didn’t
answer for the simple reason, I couldn’t care less.

“For forty years I have been coming here and hoped
that something dramatic would happen like you would fall
under a bus.” “No such luck I’m your annoying brother
and I always do the right thing only crossing the road at
Zebra crossings.

There was a speeding truck noisy brakes, I didn’t look back.
I sit on a plastic chair under a street light and read lines from
a play I wrote forty years ago, my bum aches, have called
my brother cell phone there is no answer

No comments: