AucklandPoetry.com presents Poet Resident JAN OSKAR HANSEN on http://OSKAR.AUCKLANDPOETRY.COM

Thursday, September 13, 2007

a Musical instrument

A Musical Instrument

Hanover Street, Liverpool, there was a saxophone
in a shop window, not new mind, but well polished
I knew it was meant for me, knew I could play it,
just like that. Not enough money, back onboard,
I asked the captain for an advance, got it; how I ran
that day, yet came too late, it had been sold.

Later when the night was heavy with the smell of
“Park Lane” in Lime Street I heard my Sax
played badly, there weren’t harmony between
man and instrument; looked through the window,
too young to enter, the sax saw me and wonderful
music followed; the musician looked surprised,
the performance of his life.

In Livorno, Italy, I bought a mouth harmonica, it
had metallic taste and made my teeth ache, no love
lost when I threw it into the Mediterranean Sea.

No comments: