AucklandPoetry.com presents Poet Resident JAN OSKAR HANSEN on http://OSKAR.AUCKLANDPOETRY.COM

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Let the night commence

Let The Night Commence.


The drops that fall from a leak on the roof
down into a bucket on the floor, are not equal,
because each one has a different ping and
vibrating echo, but each drop harmonizes and
together make enchanting water music.

No concert should last longer than two hours,
more and the mind numbs, this ignominy can
be avoided by putting a towel in the bucket,
(sotto voce) and the business of sleep can begin,
because that is what nights are for.

But before going under, not knowing whether
I’ll wake up or not, I think of the loves of my
life: Edith Piaf and Marilyn Monroe, both
unobtainable, both tragic heroines; so should
I not ask myself why I love famous losers?

Perhaps I should but not tonight, beside I’m
not a psychiatrist with a diploma on the wall,
only a tired, elderly man who has to go to
work painting other peoples houses at dawn,
to pay doctors big bills for my longevity.

No comments:

Blog Archive