AucklandPoetry.com presents Poet Resident JAN OSKAR HANSEN on http://OSKAR.AUCKLANDPOETRY.COM

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

The mystic Veil

The Mystic Veil

When a child, in Norway many, women wore veils
they were usually classily dressed and wore a dead
fox with glass eyes around their necks, mother said
they were rich bitches, scared me though, faces in
deep shadows they could tongue me and I wouldn’t
know, or perhaps they were witches with festering
sores and a third eye planted on the forehead

For the opposite reason I feared nuns, they covered
everything but their stern, unadorned faces, eyes not
mild, but judgmental, when seeing one I was quick
to walk on the other side of the street. Yesterday
I saw a Moslem woman wearing a full veil, but her
burka was too snug around her bum- an impostor-?
Other women stopped and stared, it won’t be long
now before it is the latest fashion.

No comments:

Blog Archive