AucklandPoetry.com presents Poet Resident JAN OSKAR HANSEN on http://OSKAR.AUCKLANDPOETRY.COM

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Politically Correct

It wasn’t really my dream, but my wife’s, she was waxing
the living room floor, had told her many time not to do that,
makes the floor slippery; I think she’s after my money.
A knock on the door, a woman with 8 children said she was
my wife and her children mine; denied all knowledge; she
called me a racist, I took my sunglasses off, yes they were
black. Feeling guilty I was about to offer them shelter when
my wife came, said with my navy pension I couldn’t even
keep a duck in a pond, slammed the door shut in the face of
the ebony lady. “Don’t be a sap; she said, there is no need
to believe people because they are black.” And that’s coming
from a woman born in Kinshasa.

Later that day driving to a masked ball in Haifa, I saw
the poor mother and her children, thought of stopping, but
desisted, 80 sticky fingers in my car...No! In Haifa I drank
fresh orange juice, and tried not to ask impertinent questions
about the plight of Palestine, wore an outsized nose the idea
was to look like roman senator. “Anti Semite” a waiter called
Olmert, thundered and tore it off, refused to serve me until
I repented and said I was deeply sorry for what had happened
to his people. Complied, who says I’m a hero? Looked out of
the window; saw a Gypsy family making slow progress across
the landscape, these victimized and neglected people,
no holocaust shrine for them

No comments:

Blog Archive