AucklandPoetry.com presents Poet Resident JAN OSKAR HANSEN on http://OSKAR.AUCKLANDPOETRY.COM

Thursday, August 30, 2007

sonnet to seascape

Sonnet to Seascape.

I never saw how green the sea is off the coast
of Labrador, didn’t notice a blue whale blowing
a Geyser of warm water, and missed the halo of
haze the giant created. I didn’t see how azure
the Caribbean is, nor dolphins racing alongside
my ship; the golden sand of Cuba passed me
by, as did shadows of tiger sharks on sunlit sea.
The majesty of a raging Pacific Ocean didn’t
register, busy I was navigating to Tokyo bay,
thinking of Japan’s many delights. Sea ports
have paled into irrelevance “What was her
name?” Now that it is too late, only the essence
of what I failed to be thankful for, the constant
beauty of the seascape, remains.

No comments:

Blog Archive