AucklandPoetry.com presents Poet Resident JAN OSKAR HANSEN on http://OSKAR.AUCKLANDPOETRY.COM

Friday, May 02, 2008

summer night in Rome

Summer night in Rome


In the Fontana Dei Guattro Fiumi in the piazza Navona
I had a cooling dip after coming out of a smoke filled
bar, I stripped but modestly kept my underwear on and
watched over by an elderly patrolman, who wasn’t looking
for promotion, he knew everyone on his turf and when
needed he didn’t see a thing which was good for keeping
the peace. Dawn and the local market opened, I had oven
fresh bread and cheese; coffee, also a grappa to stave of
a slight chill after my douse. I sat there eyes half closed
listening the voice of humanity and it was good to be alive.
Walking back to my little hotel I saw the police officer
again he was talking to a prostitute, he smiled and said
good morning I did like-ways; it’s handy to have a friendly
lawman on my side. I went to bed, widow open and white
curtains moving the breeze, listening to the outside noises,
and drifting on the ocean of dreamy sleep, I knew I would
wake up at noon by the aroma of Italian food

No comments: