AucklandPoetry.com presents Poet Resident JAN OSKAR HANSEN on http://OSKAR.AUCKLANDPOETRY.COM

Friday, March 02, 2007

the legacy

The Legacy.

“I can’t live here in this flat; the hall is an ice-box
generations of ill will, trying to get into the kitchen
through the keyhole, these walls layers of cooking
vapour, cabbage and cat-piss hide family abuse and
tears can’t you hear the echo of screams, it’s Eve
the window in the living room is broken, blood in
vomit on the floor, someone in the bedroom is in
agony, I can’t stay here.” This is your heritage, you
have nowhere else to go.” ”Yes I have, got a house
in Spain, it’s in a vale by a river, my dog is waiting
it has waited long.” “You go to Spain every day but
always return” ” That’s because I have been going
on the wrong bus, tomorrow I’ll get it right, you can
keep my birthright, I’m not coming back.”

No comments:

Blog Archive