AucklandPoetry.com presents Poet Resident JAN OSKAR HANSEN on http://OSKAR.AUCKLANDPOETRY.COM

Thursday, June 14, 2007

first date

First Date.

I sat on a bench outside, the railway station,
beside me a bouquet of roses, wrapped in
silk paper and a man in a dirty white coat, asleep
and smelling of booze, when awake he told me
he was a surgeon, had worked for 18 hours non
stop mending someone’s broken heart.
Midnight, been here since six, no, she never
showed up; at home my mother waited, wanted
to know if all had gone well. The surgeon woke,
up told me about his job, till an ambulance came,
took him back to hospital; emergency they said,
another bleeding heart. Must have fallen asleep,
next thing I was in the belly of a rubbish truck,
and slapped in my face, by a bouquet of roses...

No comments:

Blog Archive