AucklandPoetry.com presents Poet Resident JAN OSKAR HANSEN on http://OSKAR.AUCKLANDPOETRY.COM

Thursday, February 21, 2008

A holiday photo

A Holiday Photo


Remember Pula, in former Yugoslavia, thirty years ago,
I have picture of you in my blue shoebox, you smile look
Pretty, the people around you are incidental just locals
And other holidaymakers who don’t know they are forever
Caught by my camera, getting nowhere in my box.
The plane ride back to Liverpool on that old aircraft that
Shuddered and had wings that moved as a seagull’s,
We where so glad we landed that, strangers spoke to each
Other till they came back to their senses and shut up.
I know you must look different now, but what I recall is
Your smile since it, for a moment hid the problems that
Made us part. Looking into the mirror I don’t think I have
Aged much, a grand illusion, of course, that make old age
Tolerable; I wonder if you when looking into the mirror
Think the same as I, or are you delusion free, if so I do
Feel sorry for your bitter reality.

No comments:

Blog Archive