AucklandPoetry.com presents Poet Resident JAN OSKAR HANSEN on http://OSKAR.AUCKLANDPOETRY.COM

Friday, February 01, 2008

keeping fit

Keeping fit.


I had an exercise bike with a computer telling me
how far and fast I was cycling. By turning a knob
left it was hard work as going up a hill, by turning
the knob left it got easy to pedal, and I pretended
cycling down a steep hill; I could also adjust it as
biking through a flat, Dutch landscape of canals,
tulips, Edam cheese and blond girls, wearing clogs
traditional dresses, sunny smiles and funny hats.
I took the bike outside, one nice spring day when
sun warmed my pale face; put it on the pavement,
near the bins, went for a long walk Months later,
the bike is till there, in lashing autumn rain, very
rusty now and no longer an object of envy, what’s
the matter with thieves don’t they want to keep fit?

No comments:

Blog Archive