AucklandPoetry.com presents Poet Resident JAN OSKAR HANSEN on http://OSKAR.AUCKLANDPOETRY.COM

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

invisible friend

Invisible Friend

We sat on the pier spat into the sea, sharing a bottle of plonk
and a packet of crisp, when I heard a splash, thought someone
was swimming didn’t see a bather though, then realized you
had fallen into the water and were sinking into the mud.

Courageously I jumped into the water and dragged you ashore;
wet, we walked through town looking nonchalant, yet feeling
daft. At home I changed my clothes, blue blazer, grey slacks,
green socks and brown shoes, lovingly polished by my mother.

Looked in the mirror, saw a sophisticated man, but you had
gone, if you’re not real I hope you’re a wolf they have got
wise eyes and are not dumb like rabbits, canary birds, battery
chickens and dogs infantilized by lonely women

I saw an enormous rabbit once, or was it a hare? A winter day
when it is dark till noon. I was cycling through the forest, on
my way to school, it tried to grab me, but I got away, told my
teacher, she laughed and called me a little fool.

No comments:

Blog Archive