AucklandPoetry.com presents Poet Resident JAN OSKAR HANSEN on http://OSKAR.AUCKLANDPOETRY.COM

Thursday, February 21, 2008

the less enchanted forest

The Less Enchanted Forest

In an orange grove I walked, it was so vast and
Every tree looked the same, that I got lost and
Spent days in the wilderness

Somewhere in the middle of this fruit forest
Where oranges fall useless and silent to ground,
Uneaten by man, I came a cross a village

Peopled by an eccentric German sect who had
Turned their back to modernity, they lived on
Carrots and beans, fed oranges to their pigs

But the menfolk, all former storm troopers,
Had succumbed to orange wine and saluting
To a leader long since dead

The women with rusty iron crosses around
Elderly necks, where teaching their offspring
The value of Germanic culture

Since I’m blond and they thought I was a vegan
And their Fhurer, they made me a cabbage stew
While they ate succulent, pink pork chops.

No comments:

Blog Archive