AucklandPoetry.com presents Poet Resident JAN OSKAR HANSEN on http://OSKAR.AUCKLANDPOETRY.COM

Thursday, August 23, 2007

old salt and teeth

Old salt And Teeth


My dentist rang, mind she isn’t mine alone, bit of
a girl has many happy, grinning male costumers,
my six new teeth are ready they are almost free.
I have no qualms about that, served my country
well, years of drudgery on ships, in the merchant
fleet, hot and with little comfort; in the days when
seafarers where needed for the development of
the nation. Now there is oil. We were sent ashore
doing menial work, we who were trained for a life
at sea, reduced status; it isn’t easy, but I’ve got six
new teeth for my work and remember, with faked
nostalgia, that once, upon a time, a sailed the seas;
and can tell you stories of romance made up when
walking alone on deck and stars were touchable near

No comments:

Blog Archive