AucklandPoetry.com presents Poet Resident JAN OSKAR HANSEN on http://OSKAR.AUCKLANDPOETRY.COM

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

once a sea tramp

Once a Sea Tramp

I shall not be there when the sun sets on the calm
sea, or when it white flecked blew, blinding me.
Waves, tall as mountains and strong as rocks, is
trying to bury the ship, endless death in a greenish
hell. I shall not be there when the ship docks in
Valparaiso; walking tall, hard as nail, we were
fearless had unblinkingly looked the monster in
the eye. But in the end we lost, tired legs dimming
eyes, ports were only bright lights, no substance,
painted lips, ruby hearts. The quest turned into hard
work, long hours, scant rewards, yet we carried on
till rejected and called: old salt. thrown ashore to
a bewildering world. From my hilltop home I see
the sea; calm today, but isn’t fooling me.

No comments:

Blog Archive