AucklandPoetry.com presents Poet Resident JAN OSKAR HANSEN on http://OSKAR.AUCKLANDPOETRY.COM

Friday, May 25, 2007

only a train raide away

Only a Train Ride Away.

They knew her well at the railway station in the little,
Soulless coastal town of Peru, her father had been
A train conductor, she had a picture of him in full
Uniform, yet I sensed they were mocking her naivety
And as a slayer of hopeless causes I came to her
Rescue. She told me of her plan to become a Parisian
Model, alas, over thirty and with a broad Indian face,
Her train had come and gone, all she needed was
A little money for the ticket getting there, so I gave
Her some, this made her so happy that she invited me
For a meal at a restaurant, and she blew it all.
It was morning when I left her modest flat, from her
Window I could see my ship and I promised to wave
When we sailed, on the day the Pacific smiled.

No comments:

Blog Archive